Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Washington D.C. Day 3

Even after a late night, I was still the first one to the conference room.  
 We had a workshop on class and classism.  It was really eye opening discussing class differences with people who had actually experienced them.
 After that we had a couple hours of free time before dinner.  Metro ride!
 We got off at the National Mall.  There is the Washington Monument.
 I'm way taller than it.
 D.C. celebrates Cinco De Mayo for an entire week, so we got to witness a dance competition celebrating the occasion.
 On Cinco De Mayo, everybody's Latino!
 The view of the rest of the mall from the Washington Monument.
 The World War II fountain/monument is very powerful.
 Each one of those stars in the background represents 100 American soldiers who died in World War II.
 Here is a photo of me in front of the Colorado pillar of the World War II monument.
 After that we walked to the Lincoln Memorial.
 Honest Abe, just chillin'.
 Here are the very same steps that Forrest Gump gave that amazing speech on.  Unfortunately the reflecting pool that Jenny ran through was being renovated.
 We petted this horse.
 Walking to Georgetown, we went past the United States Institute of Peace.  I wouldn't have imagined that we even had one of these.  They haven't been too effective lately.
 We rode the bus to Georgetown for dinner.
 Neyla's mediterranean restaurant.
 The ambiance was quite nice.
 Great food!
 Here's my table mates.  We probably had the loudest/most fun table in the whole place.
 Baklava for dessert.
 Then I got home and heard about this.  I'm a little skeptical myself, I mean, no body, buried at sea, etc.  I  guess I'm kind of a Doubting Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment